Monday, May 9, 2011

On the road to Uffing…

Today I put on my big girl pants and forced myself out of the house. I planned and coordinated and finally got into the car to set my navigator to Uffing, a village on Staffel-See, about 30 minutes from my flat in Penzberg. I was hoping to make it in time for lunch at the Alpenhof which is positioned on the north side of the lake (Staffel-See).

Alpenhof is a Bavarian restaurant that several of my colleagues recommended, especially my US colleague who spent many evenings there during his round on this rotational program last summer. I figured it couldn’t be too hard to find, especially since my in-car navigator identified it as a “Point of Interest” in Uffing.

Well… I was wrong…

The navigator took me first to Murnau (for which I had to drive on the Autobahn – woohoo!!! That was a rush! See the pictures below of my hot ride (an Opel Insignia) and the view going south on the A95.), which is a bigger town on the east/southeast side of the lake. I understood from looking at the maps that an excursion through Murnau was expected, so I didn’t worry. Plus, I planned to visit Murnau on my way back to Penzberg, so it was nice to get a sneak peek.






Then, at Murnau, my navigator started telling me to drive on roads that didn’t exist or were closed and make frequent U-turns. This was my first experience driving on European rural and village roads, and my car is HUGE compared to everyone else’s sports car or Mini Cooper, so I was not keen on forging my own road or making U-turns at relatively unmarked intersections. After trying to make my way back to the route, I gave up and decided that this was a sign for me to stop in Murnau.

I found a place to park that (I thought!) was right on the lake and walked to a conveniently located tourist information site. I picked up and examined a map, reaffirmed myself that I have a good sense of direction, and started walking into a park that would lead me to the lake. I wasn’t hungry yet, and Baby A wasn’t standing on my bladder, so I figured I could hike it to Uffing by following the lakeshore.

The problem was that I couldn’t find the lakeshore! And as I walked through the park, I realized I was walking through people’s backyards and courtyards. Thankfully, I was alone, so no one could point out my failure in navigation, so I turned around and headed back towards my car.

On the walk back, it hit me: I have no schedule, I have no responsibilities, and I have nothing but time. How many times will I ever be able to say that in my life?

I pulled back up my big girl pants (which seemed to droop a bit when I got lost) and decided Alpenhof could wait; I was going to explore Murnau instead.

I made it back to the car, said a quick prayer to God (and St. Anthony!) that I would be able to find my way back to the car after my expedition, and I started walking. I walked to the end of the street and across a short crosswalk, and, all of the sudden, I was in the center of Murnau!

Murnau is picturesque, despite its touristy appeal. The main street is primarily blocked off to cars, and it is lined with shops, cafes, and restaurants. What a great introduction to Bavaria!

I walked the street for a while and wandered through stores, including one dedicated to handmade traditional Bavaria garb (think: Dundel and lederhosen). I realized too late that there were several bakeries along the route, too, as they seemed to close before lunchtime, so I made a mental note to come back earlier in the day next time.

I stopped for lunch at a Greek bistro, sitting outside in the sunshine (how European of me?!). And I got to practice my non-German skills. It was kind of hilarious and very awkward, but I am tremendously thankful for the patience that the restaurant staff showed me. Not only did I manage to order a delicious lunch of gyros and rice, but I also got a chocolate milkshake for dessert (and they understood!). Plus, I managed to get a receipt for my expense report, which is a HUGE accomplishment in rural Bavaria (receipts are hard to come by around here). The picture below is a view from my table at the restaurant.
After lunch, I continued to wander around and then realized how worn out I was getting (the pictures below are of the central pedestrian area in Murnau and one of the fountains along the way). A few hours of walking up and down cobblestone streets, built on the foothills of the Alps, was apparently exhausting. So I made my way back to the car and set off towards Penzberg.




On the drive back, I decided to take the opportunity to stop at the various parking sites along the rural roads and take some pictures. This was a better idea than what I had been doing on the drive out to Uffing/Murnau, which was taking pictures from my car and trying not to drive off the side of the road. I think I annoyed a few drivers, so I thought I’d do them all and myself a favor and stop this time to snap the photos. :)




I made my way back to Penzberg, where I planned to make a quick break to refill my water bottle and rest my feet for a few before heading over the Bad Tolz, another picturesque town, this time east of Penzberg.

Well, sticking with the theme of the day, my plans failed. I sat down for a few minutes’ rest and woke up a couple hours later. It turns out, this pregnancy thing makes one tired much more quickly than usual. When I woke up, I was just so worn out that I decided not to push it today, as I have another adventure planned for tomorrow: Munich sightseeing and a “practical” tour of Penzberg with a fellow American Roche employee.

For now, I’m settling into bed, watching The DaVinci Code in German (thank goodness I read the book!) and relaxing before tomorrow’s excursion.

And I think Baby A likes that plan, as he just kicked me and, for the first time, I felt it. :) I’m a happy globetrotting momma right now. Happy weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. By the way, I composed this blog on Saturday, 07 May, not today, so ignore the date on this. Yes, I am at work today, not traveling the Bavarian countryside or watching German DaVinci Code. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly adventurous! It sounds like you're having fun exploring, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud to be considered adventurous by someone who is pictured on a camel in the desert! :) I hope all three of you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on fitting into those big-girl pants :). Just wait--pretty soon you will share my philosophy that with a map and my own two feet, I can get anywhere!

    Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete